In Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield, Trainers can connect to the internet and battle against each other in either Single or Double Battle formats in the Battle Stadium.
In the Battle Stadium, Pokemon Trainers can engage in Ranked Battles where they will face other Trainers and their Battle Teams from across the globe.
- Trainers will battle those with a similar rank and will earn points depending on the results of those battles.
- Each rank in Ranked Battles belongs to a specific tier, and Trainers can increase their rank by earning enough points.
- Trainers can check their own ranking in the Battle Stadium. They can also see how all of the participants placed in a competition on the smartphone version of Pokemon HOME.
In Casual Battles, it’s not about who wins or loses – it’s about becoming a better Trainer.
- One exciting aspect of Casual Battles is the ability to use certain Legendary Pokemon and Mythical Pokemon that are not eligible for Ranked Battles.
Features like Online Competitions and Rental Teams will also allow players to connect with other Trainers in different ways.
Trainers who participate in Online Competitions can battle in either Official Competitions or Friendly Competitions.
- In Official Competitions, participants will take part in special battles with a variety of different rules and restrictions.
- In Friendly Competitions, Trainers can join competitions hosted by other players or even host their own competitions. Regulations in Friendly Competitions are determined by the host.
Rental Teams enable Trainers to borrow Battle Teams by inputting IDs available online—or to make Battle Teams that they’ve put together available as Rental Teams to other Trainers all over the world. Up to five teams can be rented at once, and they can even be used in Ranked Battles.
Dynamaxing and Max Moves
The Dynamax phenomenon not only makes Pokemon huge – it can also give them a boost in power and sway the course of a battle. The Max Moves that only Dynamax Pokemon can use aren’t just powerful but also have impressive additional effects. For example, the Water-type Max Move, Max Geyser, will trigger the rain weather condition, and the Fighting-type Max Move, Max Knuckle, will increase the Attack of all allied Pokemon.
In Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield, a Trainer’s Pokemon can Dynamax if that Trainer has the Dynamax Band. Pokemon do not have to hold a special item to Dynamax. This means Trainers can choose which one of their Pokemon to Dynamax depending on what’s happening in the battle, and they can even have their Pokemon hold items that boost their strength so they can unleash Max Moves that are even more powerful.
New Abilities and Items
Many new Abilities have been discovered in Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield. One such Ability is Galarian Weezing’s Neutralizing Gas. This Ability neutralizes the ongoing effects of other Pokemon’s Abilities and even prevents Abilities from being triggered. Once the Pokemon with Neutralizing Gas leaves the battlefield, the Abilities of the other Pokemon will be activated again.
Some Pokemon have rare Abilities known as Hidden Abilities. In Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield, Pokemon caught in Max Raid Battles might have these Hidden Abilities. There is also a very small chance that Trainers will encounter a special Pokemon capable of Gigantamaxing in Max Raid Battles. While extremely rare, by attempting many different battles, there’s a chance they could even encounter a Pokemon that can Gigantamax and has a Hidden Ability. One such Hidden Ability is Corviknight’s Mirror Armor, which will bounce back any stat-lowering effects from an opposing Pokemon’s Abilities or moves.
New items that can be combined with specific moves to give Trainers an edge in battle will also be available in Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield. These items include Room Service and Eject Pack. When held by a Pokemon, Room Service will lower that Pokemon’s Speed when the move Trick Room is successfully used. When a Pokemon holding Eject Pack has any of its stats lowered, it will immediately switch out so another Pokemon can be sent in.
Check out the new Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield Trailer:
Use "HPLAYERS" coupon for a 5% off discount at Playasia!